Saturday, September 11, 2010

15 Albums

Obviously, music is my thing, people.
I talk about it incessantly, I'm constantly singing, and I post lyrics as my thoughts to everything.

So...when I saw this subject, of course I had to complete it.

Basically, without thinking about it too much, write down 15 albums that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Include a brief description of what each means to you.

Here we go...

1) One of the first albums I remember ever LOVING was Aerosmith's Big Ones. I'm sure it was originally my mother's and I just happened to steal it to listen to in my brand new cd player in my car I got for my 16th birthday. Every single time I hear these songs, I sing along. I just can't help it.


2) But, the first album I ever got was for my 10th birthday... N'Sync. Ahhh, God bless those pretty boys. I danced and sang and loved every minute of their dirty lyrics that I didn't quite understand.


3)Hanson. C'mon. We all loved MmmmBop and we all had a favorite brother. Mine was Zac...I loved his long hair and his rhythms.


4) This one is a bit more recent. The first time I ever watched this movie, I knew I loved the music, but I didn't fully grasp the context of the story. I knew it was about AIDS and homosexuals, but I didn't "get" how important the message was. Years later, I re-watched it and of course, fell in love. This album will forever be in my heart and exhibit my outlook on life and love. RENT.


5) Also, a bit more recent: Idina Menzel. You all know how I feel about her and her music. I am in awe of her talent and down-to-earth-ness. This album's lyrics have touched me in a way that almost no other cd has. And the fact that she wrote them makes me feel even closer to her. Love, love, love "I Stand" by Idina Menzel.


6) This one I came across long after the band had broken up. "Stand Still, Look Pretty" by The Wreckers is a  new-age country album with striking melodies and heart-wrenching lyrics. I have several favorites and I will always love every single song.


7) Journey. C'mon. Who doesn't love Journey? And this was another one that was my mother's and ended up in my new cd player. No matter how old I get, I will adore this greatest hits cd.


8)The first cd that I ever bought with my own money: Autobiography by Ashlee Simpson. Say what you will, but I loved this cd. I was in my "punk" stage and devoured her raspy voice. Still listen to it all the time, so don't judge me.


9)You shut your mouth. I'm a 90's kid, what can I say?


10) One of the first really "hard rock" bands I got into, thanks to my mother, was Seether. I have loved them ever since.


11) Evanescence. I know they're melodramatic, but I can't help but love Amy Lee's voice. She could sing the ABC's and I'd be in love. This was one of the first albums that I had completely memorized within days.


12) Again with the showtunes, again with the Idina. But, I know for a fact that this book and play have touched me. The lyrics and story will stay with me for the rest of my life. Love, love, love WICKED.


13) Imogen Heap "Speak for Yourself". Aaaahh. The first "indie/alternative" singer I ever truly loved. This is the music that broadened my horizons. This is the album that started my love affair with this type of music. I will always treasure this album and the girl who introduced me--Sarah Mooney.


14) Theory of a Deadman, my favorite band. Chelsea introduced them to me and at first, I thought they were like any other rock band. Once I really started listening, of course I fell in love with their lyrics and with Tyler Connelly (the lead singer)'s voice.


15) Sara Bareilles. How is that every song she writes feels like it's out of my diary (or blog)? No matter who you are, you can appreciate "Gravity".





Ok, that's what I came up with quickly. I'm sure I'll think of SOOOO many more later, but for now.. that's what I got. And of course 15 couldn't encompass all of my musical tastes and loves, but I think this shows quite the variety of my spectrum of musical delights.

Tell me what you think about my selections and of course, do your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment