Wednesday, June 23, 2010

For the first time, I feel.....WICKED

So, I have now officially finished the book, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. I also just finished watching a (bootlegged) copy of Wicked:The Musical on YouTube. I couldn't resist watching.
A) Everyone said the musical is different from the book, so I had to know and
B) this copy had Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth!

So I watched it. I love the musical..because I love the music. And I love these characters. Yet, the book is so much better. I shouldn't be surprised. The book is ALWAYS better (there is only one exception, but that's a whole 'nother conversation). How can I expect the play/movie to be better when they simply can't fit in as much information as in the book? That's the main reason why I prefer this book over the musical...story-wise. The book goes into so much detail about Elphaba, and her life, and her allergy to water. It really pieces all of the random information together to form a story, ya know? I feel like in the musical...they just didn't have enough time to put it all together so neatly as in the book.

Also..the book has some very dark under-tones. It speaks of racism, religion, adultery, idolatry, life as an outcast, feminism, totalitarian governments, mistreatment of animals (along with vegetarianism)....on and on. I love that one can continue having discussions of this book way past the obvious "Wizard of Oz" stuff...and on to how it relates to real-world matters.

I love Elphaba...so, so much. I love the Elphaba that Gregory McGuire created...the one that struggles with life, love, her spiritual self, and what it means to stand for what is RIGHT...no matter who is against you. This book is very dark. I cried and cried...but in the end, I realize all of the terrible things described HAD to happen. The book is the life before she became The Wicked Witch of the West..and while I would NOT agree that she is Wicked, some bad things still had to happen to her in order for her to be perceived that way, correct?

And, my darling Fiyero. I can't speak of him because I will say too much, and I'm hoping many of you will read the book and/or see the musical. Really, you should. I know I've been harping on Idina for a while now, but despite her...Elphaba Thropp, the Eminent Thropp Third Descending...should be in your heart regardless.



Beautiful, aren't they?

This is the Fiyero I imagined whilst reading the book...



In the book, he is described as being "ochre-skinned" which is a reddish brown. He is described as having the strange blue-diamond pattern on his skin, and as being Prince of a tribe. He is definitely made out to be this land's equivalent of a Native American/Indian. They are thought of as savages and have child marriages.

I like this version of Fiyero. His oddness brings him together with Elphaba and her oddness (the emerald skintone of course). There's also the under-tone of rascim, etc, in the book.



This is the Musical Version's Fiyero:



Still handsome, still fun. But they changed him to more "mainstream" prince, I guess. He is shallow and callow, and only cares for himself. That all changes of course, once he meets Elphaba. Classic Prince/Princess story, right? Yeah. Kinda lame, but it sales.



Love this duet with Elphaba (Idina Menzel) and Fiyero (Norbert Leo Butz)

"As Long As You're Mine"


But one of my favorites, lyric-wise (besides "Defying Gravity" with which NOTHING can compare) is this one...

"I'm Not That Girl"


Hands touch, eyes meet
Sudden silence, sudden heat
Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
He could be that boy
But I'm not that girl.


Don't dream too far
Don't lose sight of who you are
Don't remember that rush of joy
He could be that boy
I'm not that girl

Ev'ry so often we long to steal
To the land of what-might-have-been
But that doesn't soften the ache we feel
When reality sets back in

Blithe smile, lithe limb
She who's winsome, she wins him
Gold hair with a gentle curl
That's the girl he chose
And Heaven knows
I'm not that girl

Don't wish, don't start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn't born for the rose and the pearl
There's a girl I know
He loves her so
I'm not that girl



LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

Please, somebody else read this book so we can discuss it! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man I stumbled upon this entry today googling Fiyero and I must say, I first read Wicked last summer and I can't even begin to explain my love of it. I saw the musical over the Christmas holidays and while it was also fantastic in its own way, the changes to the storyline irked me too much. I love the book, and plan to read it again this year hehe.

    ReplyDelete